Saturday, April 26, 2014

#BostonStrong

              There are moments in life you remember forever, where you where, what you were doing, and how you heard. Ask any parent, grandparent, or friend they will recount the circumstances of their life when they heard start of WWII or the assignation of John F. Kennedy or 9/11. Last year one of those events occurred in Boston. I can remember sitting in my room in St. John's at my desk, procrastinating studying for my 2nd to last final when the Facebook status's started rolling in. There's a moment of confusion where you think this can't be happening in MY city, and then the terror and horror starts in. Normally My mother and sister go to the Marathon every year ( I went when I wasn't in school), and camp out at the finish line. Thank god last year things came up and both had other plans and didn't end up going.

             Flash forward to last Monday, my cousin was in town to run the Marathon so of course we had to go. There was such an overwhelming sense of community! It was truly an experience I can't put into words but I did take some pictures!

Love that dirty water!!
One mile from the finish line, almost there guys!!

My cousin Kevin veering off course a bit to come give his kids kisses

Here I am with my cousin Grace, snapped by my mother
            We managed to grab a spot about a mile away from the finish line after being turned away from two check points. Security was defiantly amped up and I think next year will be better and the kinks will be worked out. We got to see Kevin run by and he ran up (a rather steep hill) to come give his wife and kids congratulatory kisses. It was adorable. I really love seeing all the military run by and the encouragement every single member of the crowd gave to the runners. If someone slowed to a walk the entire crowd would start cheering them on. It was spectacular!

            I have to say overall I love this city and we are and will be forever BOSTON STRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment