Sunday, July 13, 2014

High End vs Drug Store

I have been so loyal to my Maybelline Master Prescise Liquid liner pen for about two years now. I love how easy it is to use and how it NEVER seems to dry out. I always manage to make the perfect cat eye flick with this stuff. However I got tempted by Essie Button about a month ago when she started rocking navy liquid liner. I searched high and low for a drugstore navy liner pen and there are absolutely none. Frustrating right? So I popped into Sephora and picked up the Stila Stay All Day liquid liner. I thought I would show you a side by side comparison, my favorite Maybeline liquid liner vs the cult followed Stila pen!


The Maybelline pen has a longer and more tapered nib. It is thicker at the base and tapers off to a .02mm tip. Stila has a shorter nib, I assume to allow more control over the line, and it also tapers down to a .02mm tip.

With a shorter nib I find I have to use more strokes. As you can tell from the picture, this results in a bit of a choppy line. Personally I find that I get a smoother line with a longer nib, I like to lay the nib along my lash line and build from there. 

Stila Stay All Day

Maybelline Master Precise

I find the color inconsistent with the Stila liner as well. You can see the black line is quite a dark, true black throughout the line whereas the navy is a bit lighter on the start and end of the line, or the inner conner of my eye to the tip of the cat flick.


I'm also finding that the Stila liner is already starting to dry out, which is annoying as I bought it a month ago. I find it picks up my eyeshadow as I draw the line along my lid, which might be why it's drying out.

Overall I'm not to impressed with the Stila liner. I love the color if it was a bit more even. I'd jump for joy if Maybelline brought out my "Old Faithful" in some addition colors! Anyone know where I can find a drugstore liquid liner pen in navy? This isn't cutting it!

6 comments:

  1. I love when drugstore products beat the high end products! The navy liner is super pretty though, I really love colored liner!

    Krissy | http://www.sheetstoshimmer.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know me too! 7.99 beats 20 bucks every time! lol

      Delete
  2. I love this post!!
    Keep in touch xoxo
    Antonella

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have stila and it's pretty great :) I think I'll try the maybelline one next though

    http://ramyun-pie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't hat the stila liner i just absolutely ADORE my maybelline one haha

      Delete
  4. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. buy ayahuasca online

    ReplyDelete